Requirements of the position
We seek to hire an Assistant Legal Adviser to drive all programmes/activities designed to promote International Humanitarian Law (IHL) with all stakeholders in Jordan, including with the Jordan National Commission on IHL, academia and relevant authorities.
Your functions and the qualities we seek
The ideal candidate will lead efforts to promote International Humanitarian Law (IHL) in support of the work of the National Commission on IHL; inspire the teaching of this body of law within Jordanian universities; support all efforts at acceding to, and domesticating IHL-related treaties in the country, and strengthen knowledge of basic IHL within the Jordan Red Crescent Society (JRCS). S/he will draft or provide legal opinion on Agreements and/or MoUs as may be requested and advise the ICRC delegation on relevant issues related to IHL and national and/or international legal matters. Additionally, the ideal candidate will draw up annual budgets to fund programmes/activities in this domain and monitor their implementation. S/he will have excellent research and writing skills (in both Arabic and English languages) and have the capacity to network with relevant contacts necessary for accomplishing assigned tasks. A previous experience as Graduate Assistant in a Law Faculty, or work in a legal firm would be considered as an advantage.
- Be aware of the delegation’s objectives and activities
- Understand the three components of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement
- Apply the security rules at all times
- Respect and observe the staff regulations of the ICRC in Jordan.
- The employee may be asked to perform other duties not covered in this job description as well as to provide support to other departments when and if necessary.
Qualifications and Profile :
- Bachelors ’s degree in Law
- Must have been admitted to the Bar.
- Fluent command of English and Arabic.
- Computer proficiency.
- 2-3 years’ work experience in a similar function, within or outside the ICRC, including in government or the judicial sector.
- Legal drafting experience
- Good knowledge of IHL
- Job Location
- Amman, Jordan
- Company Industry
- Non-profit Organization
- Company Type
- Non-Profit Organization
- Job Role
- Employment Type
- Full Time Employee
- Monthly Salary Range
- $1,000 – $1,500
- Number of Vacancies
- Career Level
- Mid Career
- Years of Experience
- Min: 3
- Bachelor’s degree / higher diploma