Reports to: Accounting Manager
Direct Reports: N/A
Internal: Shake Shack Accounting & Finance Team, Shake Shack Operations
External: Banking Representatives, External Auditors
The Staff Accountant assists in the overall functions of the accounting department. This individual assists with regular month-end and year-end closing responsibilities including, but not limited to, preparing and analyzing a variety of monthly account reconciliations and preparing appropriate adjusting journal entries as needed. Also, this individual works closely with the Accounting team to review P&L functions of assigned corporate owned restaurants, as well as other related day to day accounting functions. Prepare monthly bank reconciliation of bank accounts. Prepare and file monthly sales tax reports and ensure timely payment. Perform other duties and ad hoc projects as needed. Assist in filing journal entries and other items.
Monthly reconciliation of bank accounts and credit card accounts: (30%)
- Prepare journal entries for bank and credit card reconciliations.
- Calculate and address any large cash discrepancies on a weekly basis.
- Prepare report for general managers regarding their cash overages or shortages; address any questions or concerns arising from cash discrepancies.
- Continue to improve reconciliation process.
- Monitor outstanding check balances and reclass to unclaimed funds on a quarterly basis.
- Save bank statements each month for future audits.
Monthly sales tax reports and ensure timely payment: (20%)
- Prepare journal entries and file sales tax returns.
- Ensure that sales tax rates are correct in the calculations and in the POS system for each type of product.
- Research sales tax regulations for new locations.
- Reconcile the sales tax payable account.
Period-end and Year-end Close: (15%)
- Prepare journal entries for close.
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations in Blackline.
- Perform variance analysis of P&L’s.
- Coordinate general ledger review and resolve questions/comments from Operations Teams.
General Oversight of Assigned Shacks: (15%)
- Communicate with General Managers with regards to Shack level financial information.
- Monitor over/shorts and change order drop offs and pickups.
Other Duties and Ad Hoc Projects: (20%)
- Assist in the annual external financial statement audit, sales tax audits.
- Provide support to cross functional teams.
- Assist in New Location Setup and Vendor Maintenance
- Prepare ad hoc reports and analysis as requested.
- Filing journal entries and other items.
Relevant Skills, Knowledge & Ability
- Minimum of 0-2 years accounting experience
- Restaurant industry experience a plus
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, Access)
- Familiarity with MAS a plus
- Excellent verbal & written communication
- Integrity & Discretion
- Team Oriented
- Attention to Detail
- Organizational Awareness
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required
- CPA track preferred
- Involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.