Small, autonomous teams. Largely decentralized decision-making. Stack involves MicroServices in Scala. System Administration involves automation using a wide Python/Ruby/Perl/Shell. NoSQL. UTeam ownership of processes end-to-end with an eye for quality. Adoption of open source technologies and encouragement to contribute to them. A stable production environment supported by a wide variety of 3rd party and home grown tools. Distributed systems. Continuous delivery. Simplicity. High degree of Automation. Room to innovate and make a difference. These are some of the key ingredients of Gilt’s robust technology culture. If this all sounds good to you, then keep reading!
The Systems Administrator is an experienced, professional, and energetic individual who will help successfully manage over hundreds of AWS Linux instances and some bare metal servers and manage all Linux software installations. In addition, Systems Administrator is required to assist security with all compliance and security challenges involving Linux instances. Responsibilities include:
- Maintain awareness and currency of technologies, software, program products, and hardware as related to Information Services
- Install software products by utilizing vendor information, past experience and group members’ knowledge, minimizing the business exposure due to changes in the processing environments. Evaluates the performance of installed software and hardware by utilizing available aids to monitor trends, loads and growth patterns
- Resolve system problems and performance by careful analysis, debugging, identifying the root cause and applying corrective maintenance
- Document all changes following controls, procedures and documentation standards and raises issues and concerns with recommendations for follow-up action
- Provide expertise in specific hardware, software, utilities, and productivity aids used by Information Services, and advises others on their use.
- Be open to learning new techologies and be comfortable diving in to help others
- Comfortable working in an agile environment supporting MicroServices
- 3-5 years of experience working in a Linux server environment including Red Hat Enterprise 5+ and SLES 10+ operating systems (or close variants)
- Hands on experience with the following: RPM, Puppet, LVM, AWS
- Very comfortable with unix shell and tools is a must
- Being able to program in at least one of Perl/Python/Ruby is a must
- Networking fundamentals, TCP/IP, DNS.
- Experience with REST and docker is a big plus
We’re very passionate about preserving our culture of trust and autonomy. Anyone on our team can give a presentation, develop an open source project, attend or speak at a conference, spend funds in the team budget, organize a meetup, or invite someone interesting over to our office for coffee and a chat. We embrace our creativity and are open to embracing yours.